Special Instructions for Start
How to operate at the start of Venla and Jukola relay:
- Allow adequate time for registration and resetting of your Emit control card. Get to the warm-up area at least 20 minutes before the start.
- Check in advance (while flexing for the start) your own start row from the sign posts located at the edges of the start grid or from the vests of start personnel.
- Approximately 15 minutes before the start, move close to your own start row and wait for further instructions from the loudspeakers.
- When announced through the loudspeakers (approximately 8 minutes before the start), move to the start spot matching your team’s start number. Please go to your own start spot from the end of your own start row (do not step over the bands). The start spot is indicated on a band laid down on the ground and marked with the number of your team. Make sure that the band laid down on the ground carries the number of your team.
- When announced (through the loudspeakers), the distribution of the maps starts. For each row (30 first-leg runners) there will be one Lappee-Jukola staff member distributing the maps.
- Make sure that the map you receive carries the number of your team. The competitor is responsible for taking the right map!
- Keep the map in sight in front of your body until the start signal is fired.
- Do not open the seal of the folded map prior to hearing the start signal. As stated in the competition rules, the team will be disqualified in case the seal of the map is opened too early.
- In order to ensure that the band on the ground is not in the way of the first-leg runners during the start, the Lappee-Jukola staff will remove the bands by pulling them off from the ends of the rows. Do not stand on the band. Do not move while this is being done.
- Do not move before the start signal has been fired. As stated in the competition rules, the start of both Jukola and Venla relays will be recorded and any false starts, or those responsible for causing a false start, caught on the camera will lead to an immediate disqualification of respective relay team(s).